Pre-Kindergarten & Kindergarten
Pre-Kindergarten and Kindergarten are gateways through which your child passes into school life. They provide a learning environment that stimulates curiosity and eagerness for learning. Our youngest students are active members of the school, participating in everything from liturgies and prayer services to music and digital literacy classes. Students receive daily instruction in religion, math, language arts, and STREAM activities. Students also attend weekly Spanish, music, physical education, and digital literacy classes.
Instruction is provided in a variety of ways including whole group, small groups, centers, and individualized support. Hands-on activities, dramatic play, family projects, service learning, and the incorporation of music and art make for a well-rounded learning experience. Catholic values and prayer are woven into all areas of study, helping students to grow in their faith. Technology is also incorporated into the curriculum through the use of Smart Televisions and Chromecast, interactive websites and educational apps.
Research shows that quality early childhood education has positive and lasting benefits for young children. Strong foundations for learning are established and children are encouraged to develop to their full potential. The early years of a child’s learning make a significant difference in the way they develop and go on to learn throughout his/her life. Our five day program follows curriculum set by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Below is some basic information about our program to help you understand the early childhood educational experience here at SKD School.
- Recognition of letters, numbers, colors, shapes, and name
- Learning to form letters and print
- Community-based field trips (police station, grocery store, etc…)
- Use of the Smart Television and iPads
- Learn Bible verses and Bible stories of great heroes
- Parents become partners with teachers in educating their children.
- The program and guidelines are organized around the Early Childhood Curriculum as set by the Archdiocese of Philadelphia. Pre-K Curriculum